Rattray Marsh Living Discovery Centre
Rattray Marsh Conservation Area will be transformed into the Rattray Marsh Living Discovery Centre, an outdoor living classroom and invaluable environmental education resource for local residents and park visitors.
The Rattray Marsh Protection Association (RMPA) was formed in 1979 and has been integral to the area’s long-term protection and appreciation. Comprised of local residents and community members, RMPA is dedicated to ensuring that the community and its visitors benefit from quality educational, interpretive and stewardship opportunities at Rattray Marsh Conservation Area.
In 2009, the RMPA joined the Credit Valley Conservation Foundation as a volunteer fundraising committee.
Our Success to Date:
In recent years, the Pendle Fund of the Community Foundation of Mississauga has made a significant investment in the Living Discovery Centre. Their generosity has enabled CVC to implement numerous trail upgrades and viewing platforms that preserve the area's many sensitive features.
The Rattray Marsh Living Discovery Centre now operates year-round and is comprised of outdoor learning opportunities and activities including:
- An upgraded trail and boardwalk system that protects sensitive natural areas throughout the property
- Several viewing platforms along the trail system that provide staging areas for some of the more significant features of the Marsh and surrounding habitat
- Upgraded kiosks and interpretive signage that guide visitors through a variety of educational and entertaining natural and cultural heritage themes.
- High quality environmental education programs such as guided hikes, presentations, children’s programs and workshops focusing on the themes of the Marsh
- Opportunities for local residents and park visitors to engage in hands on stewardship activities and restoration programs to protect the environmental health of the Marsh
- Opportunities for park visitors to participate in passive recreational programs such as hiking, bird watching and nature exploration.
How You Can Support the Rattray Marsh Living Discovery Centre
Make a cash donation
Gifts can be made in the form of cash, cheque, money order, credit card or online.
Make an in-kind donation of goods or services
Donors considering gifts of building materials, equipment or services should contact the campaign chair for advice. The campaign committee has a list of specific materials, equipment and services needed for the campaign. Where appropriate, tax receipts for gifts-in-kind can be provided.
Get your business or community organization involved
You have the opportunity to have a direct and profound impact on our community. Whether it is through sponsorships, donations, services or volunteers there are countless ways we can work together.
Give of yourself. Volunteers are always needed on our various fundraising sub-committees. Opportunities to assist with stewardship activities, special events, grant writing, donor recognition etc. always exist.